See the Doctoral School’s study direct site ‘E-Learning for Researchers’ for a new resource on preparing for your Viva:
For doctoral researchers everywhere, the viva is a daunting challenge,often approached with anxiety and confusion rather than careful preparation. Should candidates relax and hope for the best, panic, or prepare systematically for the big day? This 30 minute video by AngelProductions and Birkbeck, University of London, will help students to understand the viva and handle it well. It is now widely used in universities throughout the UK.
The Good Viva Video will help you understand:
- What is a viva?
- How important is it to your degree?
- How do vivas differ between disciplines?
- How can you prepare?
- Should you relax or panic?
- What are the roles of the internal and external examiners and your supervisor?
- How are examiners chosen?
- What questions should you expect?
- How to use a practice viva
- Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your thesis
- What are examiners looking for?
- Coping with examiners mistakes or aggressive questions
- Understanding the outcome
If you have any difficulties signing into the site please contact TLDU-Researcher@sussex.ac.uk