The alumni travel grants support study visits and conference attendance in the China, India or the USA, for doctoral students at Sussex. Funding will be limited to £1,000 for any one student. The Doctoral School may use its discretion to award less than the maximum amount.
The Alumni Travel grants are administered by the Doctoral School on behalf of the University. The first call for applications is now open, with a deadline for applications of 22 June 2012. Applicants are asked to complete the attached form and return it to the Doctoral School, Research & Enterprise Services, Falmer House.
The following eligibility criteria will apply:
- Applicants must be registered for a doctoral degree at the University of Sussex.
- Funding will not be provided for students in the writing-up stage of their course/project.
- The alumni travel grant can only be used to fund overseas study visits and/or overseas conferences in China, India or the USA.
- Study visits and conference attendance must not take place before a student’s research outline has been approved.
- Students may take up only one such award during their period of registration.
- Study visits and conferences must be undertaken by the end of December 2012
- Funding applications will be considered by members of the Doctoral School Committee.
- Any funded study visits must be for the purposes of conducting primary research.
- All study visits must be essential to the satisfactory completion of the student’s thesis/course.
- The proposed budget must be evidenced and reasonable. Please note payment will be in the form of reimbursement. Documentary evidence, in the form of receipts or equivalent, covering all expenses included in the budget, must be provided to the Doctoral School Office in order for payment to be released.
- The University would not normally expect a student to go on an overseas study visit to multiple countries.
- The University would not normally expect a student to go on a study visit in the last three months of their course, nor for the duration of a study visit to exceed 6 months.
- The University would expect that students requesting funding for overseas conferences would be active participants in the conference with either a paper or presentation accepted. If a paper has been accepted then this should be highlighted in the “Purpose of study visit or conference attendance” section.
Any queries on the competition or on completing the application form should be directed to Julie Carr, Doctoral School, Falmer House, University of Sussex BN1 9QF: J.L.Carr@sussex.ac.uk