The Centre for Higher Education and Equity Research (CHEER)
and The Doctoral School, University of Sussex, UK
with the Postgraduate School of Educational Sciences, Umeå University, Sweden
invite you to the international doctoral seminar at the Sussex Conference Centre.
Diversity, Democratisation and Difference: Theories and Methodologies
27th – 30th January 2014
This free four day event includes:
– Lectures and workshops on theory and methodologies to interrogate diversity, democratisation and difference in social science research
– Opportunities to present your own work and receive feedback from international experts
– Networking, knowledge exchange and social events
Keynote speakers include:
• Professor Nafsika Alexiadou – Methodological and Theoretical Issues in linking the Supranational, the National and the Institutional
• Professor Valerie Hey – Post-post-structuralism? The Sensual Turn or Thinking Affects
• Professor Carolyn Jackson- Laddism in Higher Education
• Dr Anna Lindqvist – Catching the Transient. Research Design in Dance Education.
• Professor Louise Morley – The Knowledge Economy: Democratisation, Distributive Justice or Domination?
• Dr John Pryor – Perspectives on Visual Methods
• Professor Kirk Sullivan – Education as Linguistic Exclusion
• Professor Gaby Weiner – What’s in a Story? Getting the Best out of Interviews, Personal Accounts and Life Histories
Only 25 places are available for Sussex students. Please book early!
Send a one page summary of your research, including a 150 word abstract and a 150 word reflection on what you hope to get out of the programme, to Simone.Robinson@sussex.ac.uk
by 18th October 2013.
Successful applicants must commit to the whole four day programme
– including related social events.